Find answers to the most commonly asked questions about Lake Summerside and the Residents Association
1. Do all Lake Summerside residents currently pay a Residents Association Fee?
Yes, all residents and property owners in Lake Summerside have their title encumbered with the Summerside Residents Association Encumbrance.
2. Who collects the Residents Association fee?
The Residents Association fees are collected by the Summerside Residents Association.
3. How often are the Residents Association fees collected?
Members of the Summerside Residents Association are invoiced annually in January.
4. Where is the money collected from the Residents Association spent?
The funds are spent to administer and operate the amenities of the Summerside Residents Association, including the Lake Summerside, park, utilities, property taxes, insurance, salaries, programs administration, Christmas lighting, landscaping, maintaining open space in the community, etc. Audited financial statements are sent to every member prior to the Annual General Meeting.
5. What are the benefits to the residents of Lake summerside for paying the Residents Association fees?
Residents benefit, by having in their community, certain amenities and assets which, because of their unique nature, could not otherwise be provided, as the City would not normally accept responsibility for their maintenance. Other benefits include enhanced maintenance of City Blvds. Other communities who do not have a Residents Association set up by the developer have petitioned the City to collect additional taxes through local improvement bylaws to fund enhanced maintenance of open spaced owned by the City. There is also a fulltime Program Coordinator at Lake Summerside who is responsible to set-up programs and special events, which meet the needs of the SSRA members.
6. How is the Residents Association governed?
The SSRA is governed via bylaws and a Board of Directors.
7. Who elects the representatives for the Residents Association and when does that occur?
The Members of the association elect their Board of Directors annually at the Annual General Meeting. Brookfield Residential has retained the right to appoint a certain number of Directors to the Residents Association, as it is financially responsible for the viability and operation of the Residents Association until it is turned over to the Residents.
8. Are the residents of Lake Summerside able to guide the Residents Association in matters important to the residents?
The roles of the Residents Association are limited to matters affecting the operation of the association. Members can elect or defeat any Member standing for a Residents Association Directorship, and in that way guide the direction of the Association. Ultimately, the Association will be run entirely by the residents.
9. What is the difference between a Residents Association and a Community Association?
Community Associations are volunteer organizations, established with support by the City, and are dependent upon sponsorship and fundraising in order to operate. Community Associations are known to be involved in organized minor sports such as soccer, baseball and hockey, as well as being the political voice of the community. Community Associations work with City Officials in establishing social policies, they are the voice of residents if playground zone areas are required, speed zone reductions are requested, issues arise regarding signage control and other potential community safety issues. Membership to the Community Association is voluntary and could involve members from several different communities.
10. The Summerside Residents Association (SSRA) is a not-for-profit company that is professionally managed and operated.
In addition to the wide variety of recreational and event programming, we are responsible for maintenance of many of the community features, including the entry ways and boulevards (owned by the association,not private residences), the Lake Summerside facility as well as the and park amenities. Membership in the Residents Association is mandatory for residents and fees are collected annually by January 1.
1. What is the size of the Community?
2. What is the size of the Lake?
3.What is the size of the Park?
1. Why do I need a membership card?
All residents over the age of 12 will be required to have a card for entry to the park and facility. Membership cards will also allow you to register for programs offered by the Summerside Residents Association.
2. Do I need to bring my SSRA membership card each time I come to Lake Summerside?
Yes, to gain access to the facility and the park you are required to swipe your membership card each time you come.
3. How do I get my membership card?
Come to the administration office during office hours and have your picture taken and card issued. Office hours are Monday to Friday 9 - 5 PM (closed on stat.holidays)
4. What is a Certificate of Title?
The Certificate of Title is a document that is issued to you by your lawyer when you purchase your home. It is a document that states who the registered owner of the property is. These are public documents available for a small fee from a registry office or at Lake Summerside.
5. What if I lose my Membership Card?
If a membership card is lost, residents will be charged a $10.00 fee for replacement.
Children under 12 will not be issued cards and are only allowed to use the facilities when accompanied by an adult.
1. What are the Lake Summerside Park hours of operation?
Monday-Friday 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
(Seasonal changes occur)
Lake Summerside and the Park will have reduced hours on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve & New Years Day.
1. Does Lake Summerside offer any programs?
Yes, there are a number of registered programs for children, adults, and families. See the current Lake Summerside Program Guide for further information. Lake Summerside also offers a number of special events each year;a few events included for example, Easter Egg Hunt, Resident BBQ, Halloween Haunted House, Family Christmas Celebration
2. What if I need to withdraw from a program that I registered in?
Our program withdrawal and cancellation guidelines are outlined on the programs page of our website.
3. How often are new programs offered?
New programs are offered on a seasonal basis, with registration available up to one month prior to classes starting.
4. We are always looking for suggestions for new classes,
if you have a great idea – please contact email@example.com